Cece Weider & Friends
We are back again for another SleepOUT! This is the Weider family's SIXTH time sleeping out with lots of our friends joining us for repeat years themselves.
We would love to have you join us! Not sure about sleeping out? Fair that. Come for the evening and get the gist of it all first - it is a great experience! Just sign up as a "Supporter" and you can sneak away to your warm bed :)
We would also love it if you would support the event & cause. All funds raised at the SleepOUT go to the Youth Services Bureau's emergency shelters and supporting services for Ottawa's homeless youth.
Did you know that every year there are more than 1,000 homeless youth aged 12-20 seeking emergency shelter in Ottawa? These kids are not on the streets by choice. Some stats that will stop you in your tracks:
- 40% first experience homelessness before the age of 16
- 63% have experience childhood trauma and abuse
- 83% struggle with some form of mental health issues, and over 42% have attempted suicide at least once
- 69% have reported being victims of a crime in the past year
- 83% report being bullied at school, and homeless youth have a drop out rate of 53%
- 42% report go without food at home at least once a week
These kids deserve better - ALL kids deserve a chance in life. Thats why we started the SleepOUT - to raise money & awareness to help make youth homelessness - at least in our community - a thing of the past.
Here's the good news: we are SUCCEEDING! The Youth Services Bureau will soon be breaking ground on a new 38 unit supportive housing facility which, in addition to the two existing emergency shelters and other supportive housing, means that any youth who needs a safe, warm place to stay - for a night or however long they need - will have a place to go - and the supporting services they need to get on a positive track.
THANK YOU ALL for your ongoing support and enthusiasm. Together we are making a real difference!